We have served over 1,200 Bankruptcy clients

Tax Debt

Tax Debt

If you owe taxes to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) or the Oklahoma Department of Revenue, you have a possibility of tax debt relief by filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy. To find out if you qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, answer the following questions:

  • Have three years passed since you should have filed the taxes?
  • Have 270 days passed since the taxes were assessed against you?
  • If you filed tax returns, have two years passed since the filing?

If Chapter 7 bankruptcy does not allow you to qualify for tax debt relief, you can always attempt it under Chapter 13 bankruptcy. However, Chapter 13 bankruptcy does have certain limitations, and it depends on the size of your debt.

Unpaid Taxes Cannot Be Discharged Through Tax Debt.

If you have unpaid taxes, these cannot be discharged through filing for either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

If you seek to file for bankruptcy because of unpaid tax debt, you need to talk to a Tulsa Bankruptcy attorney. We would advise you to call our offices or email us at info@thehansonlawfirm.com

Contact Us